Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Love in 1892

One of the things I like about Milan, aside from fashion that I can't wear, and gay-like men I can't decipher, is the transportation. Not the uber organized, but not a messy transportation either. Not in the category of Japan, but certainly not lacking in class and efficiency.

Back in the Philippines, I suffer from motion sickness. I was always scared of riding a bus to Manila from Batangas because I always end up vomiting all the food I ate for breakfast. (What a mental image, thank you, Arianne.) It was both frustrating and embarrassing.

Here in Milan, I have learned to overcome that annoying sickness. There's no alternative jeepney here. We have no car or anything and the only way to go somewhere is by bus and/or tram. At first I avoided the bus rides, thinking that I wouldn't want to terrify or gross people out if I suddenly asked the driver to halt and then vomit violently on the pavements. I always took the tram. Oh, the ever beautiful, ancient tram. (It was also one of the things that makes me feel like I'm in Italy, what with all of its renaissance glory. Haha!)

But it was so slow. It takes 40 minutes for me to arrive home from downtown, whereas when I take the bus, it would literally take half the time. So, armed with courage and menthol candies, I took my first ride. It was nothing like the smell of the buses in the Philippines, nothing like the hot and smelly seats, the dark windows and everything. It was awesome. (Oh my god I can't believe I'm raving about a bus ride. My life is so lame. Haha!) From that moment on, I learned everything there is to learn about buses here in Milan, their numbers, their destinations and the connecting stops where I could get another bus to take me as fast as they can to where I want to go.

But then again, from time-to-time, I ride the trams and the subways. Subways are amazing now because they have now network coverage and they are the fastest ones, but they get pretty much packed up especially in rush hours, so unless I want my toenails to be dead the moment I step out of it, I avoid them.

If I want to pretend that I'm in a movie clip or music video while I listen to music, I ride the tram. :D It has this melancholic air and sometimes slipping into the depressive line. Really. And it is my thing. Haha. So yes, it remains my first love out of all. If I'm gonna go back home, I will certainly miss the smell of the trams and the conversations I hear inside. Most especially, I will miss the feeling of being inside one.

1 comment:

  1. Show us a picture of the tram from the outside please? :) Happy for you that you got over your motion sickness! At least you can ride the bus anytime you want now :) Just always bring candy with you, just pop one inside your mouth when you feel sick inside the bus! Hehe :)

    Nakakatawa tayo! I just posted an entry about the trains in Sydney. Haha! Natawa ako when I read the line "I can't believe I'm raving about a bus ride". Napaisip ako, I can't believe I'm raving about trains! :))

    ReplyDelete