Thursday, March 22, 2012

Mockingjay

The title is so bland and obvious, right? But it is also straight to the point and I kind of like it. For my second review (because I totally lack of other things to talk about, lol), I'll give my two cents worth about the third book of The Hunger Games. (Yes, because it's too mainstream, I guess. But I didn't want to watch the movie without reading the book first - just like a true-blooded bookworm.) Do not read if you do not want spoilers.

Mockingjay

Of all the books in The Hunger Games series, I like Catching Fire the most; which would likely imply that I like the third one less, though there were some parts that really made my heart ache. I chose to write my review about this one because I think I would go crazy without having said all my thoughts aloud. (At this point, what I mean is to write, as I don't have anyone to share it with.) 

Some people say it is rushed, some people say it's a disaster. It wasn't really that rushed in my opinion, but rather, there weren't really much pages to put everything on. A disaster? Not really. I think I should give credits to Suzanne Collins for conjuring characters out of thin air and introducing them to readers without so much a fuss. It was disconcerting, in a way, but certainly not disastrous.

I really like Katniss Everdeen, she's almost like the female version of Harry Potter: can't obey orders, intuitive and has a fair judgment. Unlike Harry though, sometimes I hated her for being so weak. But my perception of her weakness vanished when I was nearing the end of the third book. It was written somewhat vaguely but, being in the first person narration, it was perfect. I can actually feel her pain of loss and disorientation. Lucky for her, she has Peeta, who also has his share of ups and downs (I'm still wondering how he recovered from the blows he took), to lift her spirits up.

I think there are potential characters that weren't given enough attention, characters that, maybe, in the future, would inspire more books to be written. Sadly, they were left out in the last book of the series and it's all up to us how to characterize them in our imagination.

I'd give 3.5 out of 5 stars. This is a series I'll be well-remembering and re-reading in the future. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment