Thursday, September 20, 2012

Looking at things in a different way


If truth be told, I've never thought that I'd be, at least once in my life, a Lasallian. Lasallians had not-so-nice reputation in the province when I was in High School. When people started to use the word 'conyo', the first thing to cross my mind is the elite circle of Green Archers and Blue Eagles... and all the other people who were born with a golden spoon in their mouths. Being a typical 'probinsyana', life is pretty simple for me. I only go to Manila when needed. I think I kind of get culture-shocked when I'm in there. It's still pretty much the same for me, still.

When I was thinking of going to college, the first choice was UP, of course, and then ADMU (syempre konting pangarap lang, hindi ko naman afford yan. haha.). De La Salle University, or any other De La Salle campus hasn't crossed my mind. Who would've thought that I'd be going there, much more in De La Salle Lipa? I thought, "if I go to La Salle, it should be in the main campus." I stereotype people in DLSL.

Even now, I still stereotype them, hahaha. Some people will kill me when they read this. I'm not too proud being a Lasallian in Lipa, but I'm not ashamed of it. But then, the tides really turn... Sometimes I find it enjoyable riding the bus going to and from the campus. Sometimes, I think that the universe conspired to "make me go there". Lately, I've been learning to appreciate the flaws of the campus. I'm learning to appreciate that the professors, even though they disappoint me sometimes, have the Batangenyo attitude that I would've missed when I went straight to DLSU... Yes, maybe I said that the education is really mediocre compared to that of the major universities in Manila, but I guess it's just really it in the province.

Somehow, I am thankful that I am going to DLSL. I've met so many people. I have fun with my younger classmates in the school cafeteria, aka Chez. I learn to appreciate the value of water and clean toilets and hand bidets when we were deployed to a rural elementary school. I laugh at my teachers' Batangenyo jokes. I can speak with my Batangenya accent and no one will laugh; I can make references to private Batangenyo jokes and people will understand. I think that I'm actually enjoying.

But, again, I also think that DLSL is only a stepping stone for me. When one dreams, one dreams high. One aims higher... and I think that Lipa is not a place for me to grow. I think that one day, I'll leave La Salle Lipa and go into a much larger environment, hence, with different kinds of people. I think I want to go some place else, where I can answer questions without standing up; where I can wear my tattered jeans; wear my corporate attire in a smart casual way; where I do not have to wear hellish high-heeled shoes while going up and down the stairs and where I can make a smart reference about something far-fetched and then they will get me.

One thing is for sure though: I will never look at Lipa Lasallians the way I looked at them (oh, at us) before. My mind is now open. :)

Animo La Salle! CHOS. hahaha!

No comments:

Post a Comment